There is only one week left of the 2022 fall sitting in the Yukon Legislative Assembly!
This week the Yukon Liberal government announced the launch of the sixth intake of the Housing Initiatives Fund helping to support our community partners in building more affordable homes for Yukoners across the territory. We also opened Dis Orientation, an art exhibit that features 16 new works added to the Yukon Permanent Art Collection. These pieces are on display at the Jim Smith Building in Whitehorse. In addition, alongside Queer Yukon, we announced a new health care navigator position to help 2SLGBTQIA+ Yukoners access safe, equitable and timely health care services.
This week the Yukon Liberal government was able to pass several pieces of legislation including:
- the Animal Protection and Control Act, which will strengthen animal enforcement, improve animal welfare standards and better regulate animal-related businesses;
- the Clean Energy Act, which legislates the Yukon’s targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions;
- amendments to the Legal Profession Act, which will allow the Law Society of Yukon to better serve Yukoners; and
- the Technical Amendments Act that will ensure the territory’s legislation is up to date, effective and serves its intended purpose.
Yukon Liberal MLAs also updated Yukoners on important work including:
- The Canada Winter Games Bid. Unfortunately, the Government of Yukon has determined it can no longer proceed with the bid to host the 2027 Canada Winter Games due to a lack of federal support;
- Charting the Course: Living with and managing COVID-19, our Government’s new guide for our ongoing response to the pandemic. Charting the Course will shift our management of COVID-19 to resemble how we treat other respiratory viruses in the territory, and that is now possible because of a number of factors;
- Canada’s National Action Plan to End Gender-Based Violence that will work to address the root causes of gender-based violence in Canada and ensure that, no matter where someone lives in our country, they can have timely and reliable access to necessary services and protections; and
- the Yukon’s energy future. The Yukon Liberal government is making transformative investments in renewable energy that will save Yukoners money and help meet our targets outlined in Our Clean Future.
Yukon Liberal MLAs paid tribute to trailblazing nurse Alan Macklon, Yukon Arts Centre’s 30th Anniversary, World Diabetes Day, the Yukon Avalanche Association, Alkan’s anniversary, Riverside Grocery’s Anniversary, Bean North’s Anniversary, the Sobey Art Award and the Geoscience Forum.
Find out more about our work in the Legislative Assembly and tune in here: https://yukonassembly.ca/