Earth Day is an important time to recognize that we all have a shared responsibility in reducing our emissions and better protecting our environment for future generations of Yukoners. In 2020, the Yukon Liberal Government released Our Clean Future: A Yukon strategy for climate change, energy and a green economy. Since then, the Yukon Liberal government has accomplished a lot to reduce the Yukon’s greenhouse gas emissions by:
- Investing in the Atlin Hydro Expansion project to increase the Yukon’s renewable energy capacity.
- Investing in the largest grid-connected battery in the North.
- Supporting the Yukon Energy Corporation’s 10-year Renewable Electricity Plan to ensure a sustainable energy future for the territory.
- Developing the Yukon’s first Clean Energy Act that will legislate emissions reduction and renewable energy targets.
- Creating the Better Buildings program that will help Yukoners afford to make their homes and businesses more energy efficient.
- Working to retrofit 38 Government of Yukon buildings across 11 communities to increase energy efficiency.
- Investing in three new biomass heating systems in commercial or institutional Yukon buildings.
- Installing four solar energy systems at highway maintenance camps across the territory by the summer of 2023, reducing the need for up to 200,000 litres of diesel per year.
- Installing fast electric vehicle chargers in the communities across the Yukon.
- Providing municipalities, First Nation governments and businesses up to 90% in rebates to install electric vehicle chargers.
- Incentivizing electric vehicle use. There are 129 electric vehicles in the Yukon as of January this year – more than five times as many as of fall 2020.
- Banning single-use plastic shopping bags in the Yukon.
- Empowering Yukon youth through the Youth Panel on Climate Change.
- Installing air-quality monitoring stations across the Yukon.
- Implementing the final recommended plan from the Peel Watershed Regional Land Use Planning commission.
- Supporting small-scale First Nation and community-led renewable energy projects throughout the territory.
The Yukon Liberal government will continue to work with Yukoners, businesses, communities, First Nations, and the federal government to make investments that will build a greener economy and cleaner territory for everyone.
For more on our work under Our Clean Future, visit: yukon.ca/our-clean-future.