Can you believe it? We are already a third way through the 2022 Spring Legislative Sitting!
Over the past two weeks, the Yukon Liberal Government has been hard at work to pass legislation that will create jobs for Yukoners, protect our environment for future generations, build more affordable housing across the territory and strengthen our growing economy.
On March 24, the Yukon Legislative Assembly passed amendments to the Assessment and Taxation Act and the Municipal Act that will pave the way for the creation of the Better Building program. The Better Building program will provide Yukoners with loans up to $50,000 for home energy retrofits and up $100,000 for business energy retrofits at the lowest interest rates in the country.
The Yukon Liberal government also updated Yukoners on the new Early Childhood Education Pathway program at Yukon University, ongoing solar panel projects at highway maintenance sites across the territory, our plan to convert the High Country Inn site into additional housing and the new COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Fund for non-profits and non-governmental organizations.
In addition, Yukon MLAs passed several pieces of legislation during the week of March 21 that include:
- Income Tax Amendments Act that will align the Yukon’s Income Tax Act with its federal equivalent and modernize the territory’s tax system. These changes include no new or increased taxes for Yukoners.
- Act to Amend the Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods Act (SCAN) that will launch a review of the Act to strengthen SCAN so that it continues to give Yukoners the tools they need to ensure their neighbourhoods are safe for them and their families.
- Act to Amend the Legal Professions Act that will allow out-of-territory corporations to practice law in the Yukon, which will expand access to legal services for Yukoners.
- Interim Supply Appropriation Act that ensures government departments can continue to operate in April and May while the 2022-23 Budget is debate in the Legislative Assembly.
- The Miscellaneous Statue Law Amendment Act that will update 25 Yukon Acts to correct outdated names, references, typos and language errors.
Yukon Liberal MLAs also paid tribute to Pi Day, the March Break Take 5 Contest, the 80th anniversary of the Alaska Highway, the anniversaries of Pelly Construction Ltd., the Yukon Soaps Company and Air North, Yukon’s Airline, Community Safety Awards, Global Recycling Day, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, International Francophonie Day, International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, World Water Day, COVID-19 Response Workers, Impaired Driving Week and the Screen Production Yukon Association.
Find out more about our work in the Legislative Assembly and tune in here: https://yukonassembly.ca/.