As our team reaches the one year anniversary of the election which saw a Liberal majority government elected, we are reflecting on the work that has been done, and the priorities guiding us forward. The priorities of our Liberal caucus are: our people-centred approach to wellness helps Yukoners thrive; our strategic investments build healthy, vibrant and sustainable communities; our strong government-to-government relationships with First Nations foster reconciliation; and our diverse, growing economy provides good jobs for Yukoners in an environmentally responsible way.
These priorities guide the actions we take as a caucus. I believe that they will move Yukon forward in a strong and sustainable way, and work to ensure government transparency and accountability. As the MLA for Riverdale North, I am proud to be guided by these priorities as I work to serve my constituents. In my role as Speaker, I am active, in consultation with all MLAs, in the ongoing review and consideration of the rules and procedures of the Yukon Legislative Assembly.
This past year I have had the pleasure to engage with the City of Whitehorse in order to promote neighbourhood community projects. Our team has also started the process of liaising with the City of Whitehorse to plan for the future of the Riverdale Skateboard Park. Another important project for our Riverdale neighbourhood is the proposed French First Language Secondary School. Along with my colleagues, I am participating in the ongoing planning process for this school.
I urge constituents to reach out with any issues they have, as I am committed to addressing all concerns that are brought to me. I thank the constituents of Riverdale North for your continued support and encouragement.
- Starting the process of engaging with the City of Whitehorse in planning for the future of the Riverdale Skateboard Park.
- Established the independent Yukon Financial Advisory Panel to provide options and engage with Yukoners on healthy financial management in Yukon.
- Changes to legislation that make it illegal to discriminate against a person on the grounds of gender identity and gender expression.
- Yukon Forum revitalized with the commitment to meet 4 times per year.
- Proposed legislation that will work to increase prevention of PTSD in the workplace, and ensure emergency responders are presumptively covered.
- Moving on a plan to regulate and fund midwifery within Yukon’s health care system.
- Making progress on the planning of a new French high school in Riverdale.
- Proposed legislation to ensure the best dental services possible for our children in Yukon.
- Over 870 individual naloxone kits distributed to date, to address the opioid crisis.
- Improved mental wellness services through the recruitment of eight new mental wellness and substance use counsellors, two mental health nurses, and one new mental wellness and substance use therapist.